[microformats-discuss] Proposing RelSource

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 06:42:41 PDT 2005

It should have come to attention sooner but I dug around W3C.org and
found that rel="cite" is already defined in the XHTML 2.0 Hypertext
Attribute Collection
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-hyperAttributes.html).

Also from that collection, href and cite attributes are defined and
may coexist but they behave differently: The href attribute "specifies
a URI that is actuated when the element is activated." For the cite
attribute, "User Agents MUST provide a means for the user to actuate
the link."

In light of this, I see no reason to pursue a microformat for source
links/citations/hat tips. If authors adopt rel="cite" they are
preemptively applying a well-defined, semantic model that is both
user-friendly and easily parsed by machines.

The subject of distributed discussion and markup indicating replies,
updates, etc., is discussed at
http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming.

Thank you,
Andy