[microformats-discuss] Discovery of microformats

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Tue Jul 12 12:53:34 PDT 2005

I for one would like to reinforce that the profile mechanism is a
good one and should be used more often.

Let me also take this opportunity to point out that the profile
mechanism could be improved.  It requires that you use a profile
attribute in the head element.  If you are creating a web page of
harvested microformatted content or one where microformatted content
is inserted by something like hCard creator, you typically do not
have access to the head element.  What to do?  Perhaps we need to
consider a use of the anchor <a> or some other element, i.e.,

contained in the inserted text.

I'm a little concerned with relying on UA parsing as the sole
fallback.  It requires that the UA have an updated notion of what the
microformats are.  How would that happen?  The profile mechanism
seems easier.

Bud