[microformats-discuss] Re: Proposing RelSource

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 11:25:42 PDT 2005

On 7/13/05, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:
> Though I can't find it in the spec, I remember reading that rendering
> it as a link will be required.

Not exactly. It could be in a context menu or some other "means". From
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xhtml2-20050527/mod-hyperAttributes.html:

13.1. Hypertext Attribute Collection
cite = URI
The value of this attribute is a URI that designates a source document
or message. This attribute is intended to give further information
about the element's contents (e.g., the source from which a quotation
was borrowed, or the reason text was inserted or deleted). /User
Agents MUST provide a means for the user to actuate the link./
Example
cite="comments.html"

href = URI
/This attribute specifies a URI that is actuated when the element is activated./
Actuation occurs as the default action of a [DOM] DOMActivate event
for the element on which the attribute occurs (for instance as the
result of the user clicking on the associated element).

Andy Skelton
http://www.skeltoac.com