[microformats-discuss] Developer Adoption

Joshua Porter porter at bokardo.com
Thu Jul 14 09:07:18 PDT 2005

To add to Bud's post: I wrote up a short piece for my blog ( http://
bokardo.com/archives/intro-to-microformats/ ) right after the
microformats.org site went up. It was my initial impression, and
contains some wrong impressions...but ones that could be used, if
combined with other impressions from other designers, to come up with
a framework for explaining what they are more clearly.

It doesn't matter if microformats are *right*, it matters if they are
*supported*. Support comes in part from developers who code for them,
but without *demand* from users support will die on the vine. Support
is not just having microformats on a site. It includes the ability of
users to do something useful with them.

A "showcase" application is a great way to grow demand. Upcoming.org
is not a showcase application for microformats, because they already
have .ics and feed files available. There is no incentive for users
to use a scraping tool over simply grabbing the .ics file.

As I say in my post, a great example of a showcase application is
http://housingmaps.com

After seeing housingmaps, you don't need to know anything else...you
just want to use the Google Maps API.

josh