[microformats-discuss] reblogging needs proper citation, source attribution, as does localization/translation

Tantek Çelik tantek at technorati.com
Thu Jul 14 14:15:00 PDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 1:52 PM, Kevin Marks wrote:

>> We can copy data from one site or page to another without losing the
>> structure.  For example, we can reblog a blog entry without losing the
>> original comment-submission URL.  Or, we can copy an event listing
>> from the promoter's site to an event aggregator and from the
>> aggregator to the user's calendar.  ...all with plain old web apps.
>
> Lucas, I've been meaning to ask you about citation-wrapping on that -
> some of the examples I've seen have made it hard to tell which is a
> reblogged element and which is commentary by the reblogger. Perhaps
> you can join in the
> http://www.microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming

Agreed. There needs to be proper <blockquote>ing built into any such
reblogging with use of the 'cite' attribute to link to the original,
and perhaps a user-visible hyperlinked <cite><a href="...">blogged
from</a></cite> as well.

Reblogging should not mean stealing, but right now, this is what often
appears to happen -- bloggers stealing content and not giving
attribution, nor linking to the source, nor distinguishing it from
their own content.  I'm sure we've all seen examples of this.

As Kevin pointed out, this problem has a lot of overlap with the
citation-brainstorming efforts, and solving this problem seems
*especially* critical for reblogging, especially perhaps citing the
"original" source (rel="original"?) in addition to citing whereever the
content was reblogged from.

The "what was the original" problem also has overlap with the problem
of localizations/translations of sites, where it is not always obvious
what was the original (certainly not mechanically), though while
rel="alternate" helps to at least say "here is an alternate
representation".

Thanks,

Tantek