[microformats-discuss] Profiles, what are they good for, why do we need them, and how should they be implemented

Carl Beeth carl.beeth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 08:37:27 PDT 2005

> There is no way to make a single profile for every
> single possible XMDP that might emerge.

OK fair enough but could there be another way to do it? maybe like this:
My pages point to one document on my site that in turn will point the
xmdp's I will use in my site.
I don't think you guys realize how quickly these xmdp's are going to
mushroom. I can easily see a small private site having these:

hCalendar
hCard
RelLicense
RelNoFollow
RelTag
VoteLinks
XFN
hReview
Robots Exclusion
rel-enclosure
xfolk

And that is today, in a couple of weeks there might be more. That
makes for a lot of URL's in the header. Remember people are pragmatic
even though they won't use all these formats on the same page they
will put it all in the template just in case they they need it. Also
you are putting a very large hurdle on adoption if the user has to
muck around in his templates each time he want's to ad a new kind of
microformated content to his site.