[microformats-discuss] Profiles, what are they good for, why do we need them, and how should they be implemented

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Sat Jul 16 05:42:17 PDT 2005

Thanks, Brian

I think this nicely summarizes in one place the limitations of XMDPs
for machine validation.  And, as you observe, they were never
intended that way.  Maybe the list maintainers will use this email in
some sort of FAQ.

I have sometimes speculated that one could read the prose in the XMDP
and translate that into some set of rules that could at least
validate that one had all of the elements, properly nested etc.  That
kind of idea may be useful for people who want to use microformats as
data.  For those just attempting to make an incremental improvement
to markup, it may seem a kind of anathema because it imposes a kind
of all or nothing burden on web page authors.

Bud