[microformats-discuss] hCard and spam

Robert Bachmann rbach at rbach.priv.at
Tue Jul 19 17:20:35 PDT 2005

Ryan King wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2005, at 4:06 PM, Robert Bachmann wrote:
>  [...]
>> one could write:
>>
>>  <a class="e&#109;ail"
>> href="&#109;ailto:rbach&#064;rbach.priv.at">rbach&#064;rbach.priv.at</ a>
>
> This is out of scope for hCard. You don't need hCard to do this, nor
> should it be required in hCard.

I am agreed, it's out of scope.
Don't get me wrong this is neither a criticism on hCard nor is it a
proposal for changing the hCard specification.

I just wanted to make sure that the people here are aware of the
downside of "mailto:" and the possible(*) workaround.
As "mailto:" is used with hCard, hCard automatically "inherits" this
disadvantage.

If someone writes a tutorial on the topic "how to use/implement hCards
on your website", perhaps this should be also mentioned.

Robert

(*) This workaround will not work for ever. I suppose that sooner or
later email address collector programs will know how to deal with
character entities.
--
Robert Bachmann <rbach at rbach.priv.at> (OpenPGP KeyID: 0x4A5CCF10)