[microformats-discuss] hCard and spam

Sam Deane lists at elegantchaos.com
Thu Jul 21 08:53:51 PDT 2005

On 21 Jul 2005, at 16:10, Robert Bachmann wrote:

> But I tested some - I think popular - email spiders [1] they weren't
> able to deal with "@". So I think it's not a bad idea to include
> this technique in further hCard "how tos". [2]

I don't want to get into a "doesn't", "does", "doesn't", "does too",
argument, so I'll shut up after this post.

I take your point that it might be a short-term work around. I'd say
though that the spiders can't cope now because they don't need to,
because not many addresses are encoded like that. As soon as that
encoding becomes more common,  the spiders will catch up. In the
meantime, we will have made the format less intuitive and less human-
readable (yes, some humans will find themselves reading or writing
the xml, for whatever reason).

I think that the way to fight spam is by fixing the holes in the
email system, so that people can be held to account for the mail they
send.  How to do that is an interesting topic, but probably not
appropriate for this list!