[uf-discuss] Formating Code

Jacob Ham hakejam at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 08:26:16 PST 2005

> But its not part of the presentation, its part of the structure/meaning.

How could we tell the difference between languages that are white
spaced sensitive, and ones that are not?  Some languages would need
<pre> and some would not.  How human readable is:

<pre>
    <code>
    blah
    </code>
</pre>

compaired to:

<code class="Python">
</code>

If we created a microformat, Python informed Microformat engines would
be aware of how to deal with the Python or MyNewLang formating
(semanticly). The 'pre' element is for "pre-formatted text" [1]. I am
not saying that we shouldn't use the semantics that are available to
us in HTML, but that we are using the 'pre' element in the wrong way
(for programming languages).

Maybe I am thinking to hard, or looking at this the wrong way.

Cheers,
Jake

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#edef-PRE