[uf-discuss] XOXO eye for an XML guy

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 11:30:21 PST 2005

On 11/16/05, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Because it is not clear that Attention.xml qualifies as a microformat.
>
> For example, are people actually publishing their attention information on
> the web?  Not really.

Arguably some of that goes into feedlists (usually as OPML), and
pings. Some of the OPML fans are pushing for attention data there
(FeedDemon already has it), see e.g.

http://nick.typepad.com/blog/2005/11/attentionopml_o.html
http://blogs.msdn.com/alexbarn/archive/2005/11/08/490628.aspx

There is also now Root Vaults (http://root.net) which uses a similar
format, backed by attentiontrust.org (is it just me or did they just
lose their domain name?).

So...do we wait for people to start publishing attention data in other
formats before deciding that a XHTML format could do it?

> So I think there is still some work to do on Attention.xml just as a format
> in general, nevermind a microformat.  It's not even clear that it will ever
> be a microformat itself.  It may be sufficient for Attention.xml to simply
> make use of microformats as building blocks.

Yep, ok, it's not straightforward, and there will be a fair bit of
work involved. But I'd hate to see the work that's been done so far
overshadowed by something underspecified/unparseable.

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com