[uf-discuss] Microformats and Spam

justin norton jusnorton at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 02:25:44 PST 2005

Hello again,

 The following is a link to  a website that uses the hCard micro-format and it is from the article  on this website that I posed my original question as to whether  micro-formats could be considered spam due to hidden text. Sorry I  should have provided the reference sooner.:

  http://usabletype.com/articles/2005/usable-microformats/

  This example of micro-formats does indeed use hidden text via CSS for the on-page display of address information.

  Here is a useful article regarding SEO and hidden text from one of Google's engineers, Matt Cutts:

  http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-mistakes-unwise-comments/

  Although the article mainly concerns the use of hidden comment text  throughout his blog there are references to NOT using CSS to hide text.

  Check out this article for further references:

  http://www.searchenginelowdown.com/2005/11/jagger-or-jger-googles-update.html

Let me know what you think, maybe the question could do with clarification from Google themselves.

  Kind Regards,

  Justin.