[microformats-discuss] XHTML tables as CSV-like "records"?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sun Oct 2 15:30:15 PDT 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 2:01 PM, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:

> Just in partial defense of people who do this, the reason (I think)
> this happens is that pre-existing tags such as <h1> bring a lot of
> _presentation_ baggage to to the table; the simplest -- though by
> no means the best obviously -- is to simply route around the issue.
> I know from personal experience trying to use <ul><li>* because
> that's what I mean semantically in a presentation friendly manner
> is even uglier.

An understandable defense, for sure. No one is claiming that semantic
markup is easy or free, but there are certainly other ways to *work
around* the issue. See, for example, http://tantek.com/log/2005/
undohtml.css where tantek un-applies a bunch of default styles.

> The beautiful thing about XHTML-centric microformats is that
> presentation and meaning are (mostly) freely intermixed without
> requiring major sacrifices on the part of the content provider.
>
> Perhaps a repository of advice relating to this issue is needed?

If you're looking for help on CSS, the css-discuss list[http://
www.css-discuss.org/] (and accompanying wiki) is awesome.

-ryan
--