[microformats-discuss] XOXT@Web2.0 Re: XHTML tables as CSV-like "records"?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Oct 3 10:56:28 PDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 8:42 AM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> On Oct 2, 2005, at 10:45 PM, Ryan King wrote:
>
>> Actually, it seems we need something like xoxo for tables:
>>
>> xoxo is to outlines as ? is to tables.
>
> Precisely. Well put! The question is, does anyone else agree?
>
> If XOXO = eXtensible Open XHTML Outlines, then are we looking for:
>
> XOXT = eXtensible Open XHTML Tables (pronounced "zot" or "zoxed")?
>
> Or perhaps XOXR ("zoccser", records)?

Sounds like a Motorolla phone.

> Would this contain anything other than <table> and its valid sub-
> elements?

Well, here's the general idea:

I'd like to define a subset of <table> + children that can be
unambiguously unserialzed to data structures in common programming
languages.

We have similar stuff for XOXO that Kevin will hopefully soon be open
sourcing, which converts xoxo to and from python and php.

Being able to convert between lists of lists or arrays of arrays to
html tables (and back) would be a useful new microformat.

>> Your questions are good and well thought out. I hope my answers
>> have been helpful.
>
> Yes, extremely so.   Thank you!
>
> Perhaps we can discuss this at Web 2.0 this week.  I presume you'll
> be at Tantek's talk Wed AM?  Anyone else?

Planning on it.

-ryan
--
Ryan King