[microformats-discuss] Re: Educationg Others

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Oct 3 14:29:46 PDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 1:23 PM, Scott Anderson wrote:

> [apoligies for any duplicate responses...orginally sent to list from
> wrong email address]
>
> On 10/3/05, Joe Gregorio <joe.gregorio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/3/05, Scott Anderson <portletdev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for format definitions that are not tied to the
>>> presentation layer so that I can effectively reuse them in the other
>>> layers of my web application as well as within XML content
>>> repositories, various XML descriptors, SOAP messages, Atom feeds,
>>> etc.
>>
>> What do you see in XHTML that makes you think that you
>> can't reuse it in ""other layers of my web application as well as
>> within XML content
>> repositories, various XML descriptors, SOAP messages, Atom feeds,
>> etc."" ?
>
> The key word was "effectively". By employing a namespace strategy I
> have the freedom to mashup XML fragments as I see fit. You might be
> writing clean XHTML documents with very little non-sematic baggage
> associated with them. Myself, I am dynamically generating XHTML
> content that is being personalized based on rules provided by the user
> while also being tailored for the device being used to view the
> content.
>
> The XHTML documents that I generate are the result of compositing
> various content-oriented and/or service-oriented document components
> (portlets) together.

Same here.

> Each portlet could have the functionality and
> usability requirements of a google map. I have been seeing
> microformats as a potential mechanism for these portlets to share
> their data with each other via the DOM.

Certainly.

> For my needs it makes no sense to persist these complex portal
> documents in my content respository when only a small fraction of the
> markup is viable and reusable. It makes much better sense to keep the
> data content separate from the presentation content so I can
> effectively present the same content in many different ways.

Not sure what you're getting at here. Perhaps you could explain more?

> You may suggest that I use static persistable non-presentational XHTML
> as a data source to my process of generating the dynamic
> presention-oriented XHTML that I require.

Um, no. You can store your data however you want. I don't care. I'm
just saying that he xhtml you produce can be viewed as data source.

> What would be the advantages
> of doing this? If microformats are only useful in limited contexts
> then their usefullness to me evaporates very quickly.

Ah, so you prefer things that are useful everywhere? Like..?

-ryan

--
Ryan King
ryan at technorati.com