[microformats-discuss] Re: Educationg Others

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Mon Oct 3 18:42:16 PDT 2005

Hi Scott,

> Do you see XHTML documents enhanced with microformats serving as a
> general purpose xml content / data interchange format? Or is the
> format intended to be primarily used in the context of a presenting
> content to a human consumer along with sematic annotations?

I think your specific "general purpose" may be quite different than
our specific "general purpose". :-)

Pretty much everything I do -- including applications I write or
worry about -- are intended for use by consumers I do not have a
direct trust relationship with -- and for whom human-readability is
always a *useful* aspect (even if not vital).  They prefer to be able
to reuse their existing tools to consume that data without knowing
the schema in advance, even if that implies some loss of rigor.

For that reason, I see XHTML+microformats as 'generally useful',
including for applications that others where others might be tempted
to use XML.

> I was referring to XHTML application domains as either a general
> purpose content container or as a presentation format. It seems to me
> that these two functional requirements are in conflict with each
> other.

If I'm going to publish  in that format anyway, I might as well use
that as my data storage medium, since it is essentially self-
documenting data where *I* can extract the useful content *I* need.
It works for me.  But my world may be different than yours.

As Tantek quoted Rohit as saying, we know microformats work for us in
practice; we do NOT know if they work in theory. Which is another way
of saying we can't give you a robust theoretical justification for
why _you_ should use microfomats even if you don't want to.  At this
stage, it's more like "you either get them or you don't."

Which is okay.  If they don't make sense to you now, why not wait a
few months and check back then? We may have more answers.  Or at
least have learned better how to express them.

-- Ernie P.