[microformats-discuss] Re: Educationg Others

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Tue Oct 4 11:03:12 PDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 11:05 PM, Lisa Rein wrote:
> Hey Kevin and Mark,
>
> Thanks for the links. They help a bit. But I'm still a bit confused by
> this example:
>
> <dl class="profile">
>  <dt id="rel">rel</dt>
>  <dd><p>
>    <a rel="help"
> href="http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-rel">
>      HTML4 definition of the 'rel' attribute.</a>
>    Here is an additional value.</p>
>   <dl>
>    <dt id="tag">tag</dt>
>    <dd>Indicates that the referred resource serves as a "tag",
>        or keyword/subject, for the referring page.</dd>
>   </dl>
>  </dd>
> </dl>
>
> Perhaps if I saw a completed "microformatted" document, with the
> profile
> defined within the "head" element, I could understand better:

The above example is a *profile*.

> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#profiles
>
> Could you please point me to some of these? (I assume there are many)

Unfortunately, we don't have profiles for all microformats yet (any
volunteers for hCalendar? :D). Also, for rel-tag, we haven't pushed
for people to use the profile URIs (hmm, and we don't even have a
profile URI for rel-tag).

But for a quick example you can look at my blog [http://
theryanking.com], where you can find

  <head profile="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11">