[microformats-discuss] Re: Educationg Others

Lisa Rein lisa at lisarein.com
Tue Oct 4 15:40:45 PDT 2005

I understand *exactly* what Scott's getting at here. It's quite
fundamental, really. I think he did a great job at taking a stab at fixing
the problem that I was just about to send an email out on, so here goes.

But first things first. RE: profiles. Then I will get back to namespaces
and/or Scott's elegant attempt at providing context for the different
namespaces using span tags, etc. And demonstrating the need for a unique
ID (URI) for each. Which is our only hope...and, as we've already
discussed, is required anyway by the XHTML/HTML specs...

so first, profiles...OK i finally get it now.

1.
I went and checked out the profile at:

http://gmpg.org/xfn/11

which, although an example document would be nice, does seem to conform to
a profile example on the w3c site:

http://www.w3.org/2002/12/namespace

Note that I'm *not* trying to make a point showing the namespace profile,
it's just that, frankly, there aren't a lot of profiles out there to be
found, and I wanted to find one from "the source" so I would know that it
was conformant.

So, in conclusion, *when these formats have their profiles*, they are
XHTML conformant. Which is good :-)

2. namespaces and mixing markup:

As I mentioned earlier, I still have a question regarding the point that
Scott brought up about using multiple microformats within a single
document, which, if I understand correctly, is kinda the whole point of
microformats.

I don't understand how you would mix domain-specific markup without some
kind of mechanism for informing software about which is which. Otherwise
the different vocabularies have no real meaning to a software application.
(Context is everything when you're dealing with semantics. Otherwise,
there are no semantics really :-)

Actually, Scott's example looks like it could work.

       [help controls presentation + help content references defined
 with microformats]
       [navigation panel presentation + navigation controls defined
 with microformats]

I was going to ask if the different microformats be defined using multiple
profile attributes within the same HEAD element? But that seems really
messy, and doesn't solve the problem of differentiating the markup within
the page. (I can't tell if it's allowed.)

Would using multiple profile attributes even be allowed? And how would a
user agent able to differentiate between the different microformats if
they all use "rel-tag" method?

Is there perhaps an example of using multiple vocabularies in action, so I
may practice implementing it. I'd like to get started on the video
metadata microformat examples, and I would like to incorporate another
microformat within the example to demonstrate how this would be
accomplished.

thanks!

lisa