[microformats-discuss] The adoption of syndication feeds -> microformats

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Wed Oct 5 14:16:54 PDT 2005

This makes me think about the mechanism by which syndication feeds were
adopted by the blogosphere. Most of you folks come from the tech world,
so the need for syndication probably wasn't a great leap. When I first
started reading blogs in 2001, most tech blogs that I read provided
syndication feeds; conversely, many or most blogs from the political
side of things (for example, the 'warbloggers') did not.

I started BlogMatrix in 2001 as way of scraping blogs without
syndication to produce feeds for them (as well as a few other things,
such as tracking discussions). By late 2003, this service was almost
entirely pointless.

What changed?

First, the sheer utility of syndication -- the ability of one's readers
to use feed readers -- meant that content providers (i.e. bloggers)
demanded that their software be capable of providing some sort of
syndication feed. The common case was a 'blogspot' user which required
only the adding of a template; further our, users of software such as
GreyMatter simply moved on to something else, such as MT. Secondly (and
related), major CMS providers -- blogger (later on) and MT (from the
beginning) -- realized the utility of syndication and offered it as a
standard feature.

This is almost exactly analogous to what's happening to microformats
right now; we are just at the earliest stages of adoption. There's a
small number of technology-savvy passionate users generating content [1]
and there's a number of (admit it) privative tools consuming that
content. One can easily imagine much more powerful tools consuming this
information -- for example, IMDB [2] collecting reviews from the
Internet in general rather than from "Usenet".

The low barrier to producing microformat content [it's just a little
more markup] and the low barrier to consuming it [it's just a little
parsing] identifies the classic virtuous cycle [3]. And once the ball
starts rolling, how much trouble is it for blogger.com to add 'hcard' to
their user profiles or some "web 2.0" site it easy to produce a calendar
entry that can be inserted directly into a blog entry?

And I can't stress enough the "little more"/"little effort" part that
makes this whole thing work. (IMHO) FOAF will be as useful in 3 years
time as NAPLPS, the ISO/OSI model, or X.400; it will be steam-rollered
by things people actually do, as opposed to speced.

Regards, etc...
David
http://www.blogmatrix.com

PS. Hopefully though, the horrible personality-driven schism that's
fractured the syndication world won't happen with microformats!

[1] for example, http://eventful.com/events/E0-001-000374406-1
[2] for example, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/newsgroupreviews
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuous_circle_and_vicious_circle