[microformats-discuss] Evolution vs Intelligent Design

Luke Arno luke.arno at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:27:48 PDT 2005

This debate has become so religious I figured I might as well go all the way.

On 10/5/05, David Janes -- BlogMatrix <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> wrote:

> The creation of microformats is very much analogous to the creation of
> English language dictionaries, where common usage was examined, codified
> and standardized. Before dictionaries went into common use, there were
> many acceptable ways of spelling the same word; afterwards, writers
> looked dictionaries to find the correct way to spell words.
>
> Microformats are the dictionary of XHTML semantic content.

Bingo!

Everyone keeps asking what problems microformats solve. What are the use
cases? That is the wrong question. Who cares!?!

We don't need a problem statement. The problems are too many and too
fine grained and most importantly *already solved*

At it's core, I see this as a documentation project.

It's language. It's evolution not "intelligent design."

If this doesn't get me flamed, I don't know what will :-]

- Luke