[microformats-discuss] The adoption of syndication feeds -> microformats

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Wed Oct 5 15:04:11 PDT 2005

Mark Pilgrim wrote:
> I agree with your more general point that having tools generate stuff
> by default makes that stuff an order of magnitude more common.  The
> problem is getting there: getting past the phase where the view-source
> cult (I mean that affectionately) are hand-editing their templates, to
> the point where people start demanding tools that automate it.
> Microformats make that first phase easier, since it's just "a little
> more markup" in an existing template, so the markup is more likely to
> (a) be manually added in the first place, and (b) be kept current over
> time.  Many people underestimate the importance of this phase.

Oh, I know what you're saying: there's always a "getting the ball
rolling" problem -- the coefficient of static friction, I think we
called it in Physics. But there's something about microformats that just
_smells_ right to me; there's beeen lot's of great standards dumped by
the wayside, but on the other hand, I can't say that I've seen many
unuseful standards widely adopted.

This is earlier though. As I said the other day, we may look back in a
few years and laugh:

BRIAN:
     I'm not the Messiah!
ARTHUR:
     I say You are, Lord, and I should know. I've followed a few.

Regards, etc...
David
http://www.blogmatrix.com