[microformats-discuss] abbr-design-pattern

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Mon Oct 10 14:06:40 PDT 2005

You'll note that in on the Wiki page I explicitly spell the human vs.
computer issue:

| Use the abbr-design-pattern to make text that is human readable also
| formally machine readable.

In broader sense, there's two use cases:

(1) using ABBR to encode machine readable data around human readable data

<abbr class="dtstart" title="20051010T10:10:10-0100">10 o'clock on the
10th</abbr>

(2) using ABBR to encode more formal human data around something less formal

<abbr class="author" title="Danny Ayers">Danny</abbr>

I think Tantek is arguing that (1) is good and (2) is not (?). I like
(1) and I'd like to mull over (2) more; I'm not sold either way and
would at least to hear an argument.

Regards, etc...
David
http://www.blogmatrix.com