[microformats-discuss] Video Pop-up Link Maker

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 12 00:22:54 PDT 2005

On 10/11/05 10:00 PM, "Ryan King" <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2005, at 7:51 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to share a small project I launched today... I modified
>> the javascript hCard Creator to make a wizard to generate pop-up links
>> for videobloggers.

This is very cool Josh.

>> If there was a microformat for describing media I
>> would be happily to incorporate it into this (rel="enclosure" is in
>> there).
> On the subject of a media-metadata microformat, here's what I think
> is holding things up...
>
> We have a good deal of coverage on previous (explicit) schemas/
> formats. But, we don't (unless I've missed it) have any documentation
> of implicit schemas/formats as expressed in how people (podcasters,
> vloggers, etc) mark this stuff up.

Ryan is precisely correct.

So far, the media-metadata discussion has been largely theoretically based
(yes, standards are just theories until you provide URLs that point to
*actual* instances that exist on the *Web*).  Even Dublin Core is more
theory than practice on the Web, so I do not think we should "assume" even
Dublin Core (in the context of media or other "metadata").

> David Janes has been working on this kind of research for blog
> formats, it'd be great to have it for media as well.

Agreed.

> PS- The project's really cool. :D

Agreed!!!

Thanks,