[microformats-discuss] Video Pop-up Link Maker

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Wed Oct 12 11:55:18 PDT 2005

Lisa Rein wrote:

>(Personally, "creator" has
>always made me chuckle -- like it sounded like it was coming from the
>Ohmighty, er something :-)

Close enough, as creator can just as easily designate a company as an
individual, at least in DC.  dc:creator="Microsoft" and DC:creator="Fred
Smith" are equally valid (though author="Microsoft" would look funny).

I've never really liked that myself, preferring author="Unattributed"
publisher="Microsoft" and mapping to dc:creator=author and
dc:publisher=publisher. But that runs counter to common usage (and
forces companies to be clear about the fact that they're subsuming
individual identity under corporate identity).

I like the idea of <a href=[URL of video] title=[title of video]
type=[mime-type]
 rel="enclosure"> except that, because there's so much more metadata
that could be associated with a video (size, runtime, director, stars,
other credits, etc) that we should be explicit about supporting an
(optional?) link pointing to more detailed information and/or metadata.

-- Stephen

--
Stephen Downes  ~  Research Officer  ~  National Research Council Canada
http://www.downes.ca  ~  stephen at downes.ca         __\|/__ Free Learning