[microformats-discuss] Video Pop-up Link Maker

Andreas Haugstrup solitude at solitude.dk
Fri Oct 14 15:38:17 PDT 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:30:08 +0200, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> rel-enclosure should stay simple and independent so that it can be re-
> used by other formats (and can just be used on its own). So, we'd be
> doing composition, rather than extension.

I've never liked the definition used on the wiki page:

"By adding rel="enclosure" to a hyperlink, a page indicates that the
destination of that hyperlink is intended to be downloaded and cached."

It's vague - perhaps intentionally. To me *any* link is intended to be
downloaded and cached. That's the whole point of making a link.

In videoblogs rel="enclosure" is used to designate a different meaning. By
adding rel="enclosure" to a link we're saying "Here is another document
that is a part of the current document. The enclosure should be
redistributed/downloaded along with the current document."

- Andreas