[microformats-discuss] XHTML "id" attribute and microformats, particularly hCard

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Sun Oct 16 10:40:30 PDT 2005

I'm thinking off the "id" field as something really quite independent of
the UID, or in fact, really of hCard (and also hCalendar, and probably
other microformats in the future). It's meaning is functional -- it
allows us to address data on the internet by the HTTP protocol, that is,
by a URL (as opposed to a URN, which is more how the UID would function)

I had a slight Eureka moment a few minutes ago (and I was in the bath
too!): "rel-<microformatname>". Once we have URLs to address hCards and
hCalendars, we can write fun (entirely hypothetical) things in our blogs:

Next week I'm going to <a rel="vcalendar"
href="http://eventful.com/events/E0-001-000439889-6">Tag Camp</a> and
I'm going to meet <a rel="vcard"
href="http://www.ndunn.com/2005/10/7/hCard#NeilDunnHCard">Neil Dunn</a>.

Another application relates to the hAtom thingie I'm working on. If you
look at the microformats blog, you'll see that the authors of each blog
post have little hCards attached that are really not that useful.

But changing:

<address class="vcard"><a class="url fn"
href="http://theryanking.com">Ryan King</a></address>

to:

<address><a rel="vcard"
href="http://theryanking.com/blog/contact/#myvcard">Ryan King</a></address>