[microformats-discuss] Re: XHTML-REST -> APIs

Luke Arno luke.arno at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 12:38:03 PDT 2005

On 10/17/05, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at opendarwin.org> wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
> On Oct 15, 2005, at 10:55 PM, Luke Arno wrote:
> > I use a little home-brew Python framework and have (mostly)
> > implemented something similar.  The O.R. mapper can expose
> > its CRUD operations via POST GET PUT and DELETE respectively.
> > Additionally it can perform its CRUD operations via HTTP. This
> > way its instances can be used as clients, servers, and
> > intermediaries (should be nice for caching).
>
> Cool.  Someone just told me about TurboGear (aka Python on Rails) --
> is that similar to what you're doing?

It is somewhat different. I do think I am going to integrate Kid. Right
now I use XSLT at the "view" layer but I know that scares a lot of
people off. I use my own OR mapper as I mentioned (as much as I
use an OR mapper.) I have a DSL (just a native Python data structure
pattern) for for generating XML. I have a rules based data validation
utility. I have a custom config format that does some prompting
for settings at deploy time. Mostly it is just a lot of conveniences -
generate a project based on a project skel, generate endpoints,
automatically attach the config and a logger, etc...

It is just a collection of little things to make life easy for my self. I
don't know that the world needs yet another framework but I am
working out the details to release it. My philosophy is this:

"Frameworks are better than products.
 Libraries are better than frameworks.
 Techniques are best of all."

- Luke