[microformats-discuss] RFC: Thoughts on Video and Audio Microformats

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 11:20:51 PDT 2005

Hello,

On 10/18/05, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2005, at 3:51 AM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
> > Hi Charles,
> >
> > On Oct 17, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>
> ..
>
> >> The "class" attribute and the "title" attribute imply absolutely no
> >> semantics (as far as I know).
>
> Using them to apply semantics is certainly allowable. Per the spec,
> they can be used "For general purpose processing by user
> agents."[http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#adef-
> class] I don't see why semantics can't be part of that processing.

OK, that's a good point that I wasn't aware of.  (I thought their
purpose was only for stylesheets.)

[...]

> One aspect of microformats, which I'd like to point out here, is that
> they are adapted to current behavior. So, while URNs might be useful
> (if they were valid in HTML 4, but they're not), I think its more
> important to adapt to the emergent schema/patterns which have already
> evolved on the web (specifically in the [blog-o- | pod-o- | vlog-o-]
> sphere ;)).

Part of the reason I'm so interested in this area is because I am
heavily involved with "Internet TV".  I guess you can say that I'll be
contributing to defining what "current behavior" (or soon to be
"current behavior") is.

And as such, I've been trying to come at the problem from many
different angles and from many different "use cases".

> And though our conversation has covered some of the theoretical
> aspects of media metadata, we don't really have any documented
> research into the common practices on the web *today*. I'd really
> like to see that and I think it could help us focus our discussion as
> we move forward.

I think part of the problem is that "Internet TV", IPTV, Vidcasting,
Vlogging, NewTube, or whatever you want to call it, is still pretty
technologically immature, technology-wise.

What got me to come up with the ideas in the article I wrote (which I
previously posted a link to) is because I was looking at one
particular "use case" and found that there didn't seem to be any
solutions for it in the wild.

See ya

--
     Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.