[microformats-discuss] REX! Re: REST-discuss list, naming

Dimitri Glazkov dimitri.glazkov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 07:29:11 PDT 2005

On 10/21/05, Joe Gregorio <joe.gregorio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/05, Luke Arno <luke.arno at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am going to play devil's advocate a bit here.
> >
> > REST is just the architectural style of HTTP. HTML (now XHTML) is the
> > bread and butter of HTTP. Perhaps the name should convey what is
> > new here. REX sort of emphasizes the parts of what you are doing
> > that are nothing new. You may get reactions like this:
> >
> > http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1111339822&count=1
>
> +1
>
> I think there is an important point here, and it could be simply stated as:
>
> "If you are putting together a RESTful service don't
>  jump straight to building your own XML vocabulary
>  but instead first consider using XHTML."
>
>    -joe

Can I go even further here and suggest that we table the name
discussion for a bit?

"REX" served fine for DrErnie's presentation, but there is still a lot
to be understood about the beast. Like Ryan said, this whole commotion
is simply about a proper use of the World Wide Web. Where's the beef?
Let's define that first.

Joe's simple statement (see above) might be enough, but I suspect
there are guiding principles and architectural patterns that will be
needed for better understanding and adoption.

Finally, while this is related to microformats, I think there are
quite a few things that are seem to be outside of the realm. For
instance, DrErnie and I debated whether sample REST server
architectures belong on the Wiki or the list.

What do you think?

:DG<