[microformats-discuss] REX! Re: REST-discuss list, naming

Ryan Tomayko rtomayko at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:10:06 PDT 2005

On 10/21/05, Joe Gregorio <joe.gregorio at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think there is an important point here, and it could be simply stated as:
>
> "If you are putting together a RESTful service don't
>  jump straight to building your own XML vocabulary
>  but instead first consider using XHTML."

There's actually a lot more going on here. Joe, if you get some time,
run through these:

http://microformats.org/wiki/duhper-proposal-preso
(I think this is the latest, the url keeps changing)

http://microformats.org/wiki/rest-brainstorming

I've been watching from afar but the proposal is much more than just
using XHTML w/ existing REST technique.  Briefly,

  1. Constraining REST verbs to POST/GET
  2. A system for constructing URLs.
  3. Discovery through URL construction as opposed to hypermedia.
  4. Limiting transfer representations to application/x-www-form-urlencoded

I'd like to hear your feelings about some of these proposals as I have
reservations about a few of them (especially #1, #2, #3, #4). I have a
draft sitting here that talks about a few of these points but I keep
going back and forth on it. On the one hand, the additional
constraints could be a Good Thing. On the other hand, labeling this
particular  system of constraints as "*The* way to employ REST with
Microformats" seems to be over-reaching.

--
Ryan Tomayko
                                 rtomayko at gmail.com
                                 http://naeblis.cx/rtomayko/