proposal: new list: microformats-rest (was Re: [microformats-discuss] REX! Re: REST-discuss list, naming)

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Oct 21 17:34:05 PDT 2005

Hi Tantek,

On Oct 21, 2005, at 5:20 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
> I've mostly stayed out of this excellent discussion.
>
> From everything that I can tell, Ernie has essentially discovered a
> whole
> new world that can benefit from use of microformats.

Thank you.

> So what do people think of creating a new list, microformats-rest,
> specifically for the discussions about microformats and REST?

Well, I'm fine with that, if we can figure out how to optimally
partition things so that people don't cross post everything.

 From my perspective, I see a sharp delineation between 'specialized'
microformats like hCard and hCalendar vs. "generic" microformats like
XOXO/XOXT/REST-like stuff.

So, I wonder if a more general "microformats an envelope for data" is
a better category than just 'rest', e.g. something like:
	* microformats-data
	* microformats-tunneling
	* microformat-envelopes

Maybe not, in which case I'm fine with microformats-rest; I just
wanted to double-check. In that case,  I presume that as the
microformats-rest discussion settles onto specific concrete
microformats for tables and forms, those would feed back into *this*
list.  Would that work?

-- Ernie P.

P.S.  Do we *really* have to use the full name as the list prefix? In
my poor email client, "Re: [microformats-discuss] " takes up most of
my Subject column.  I'd be happier with 'mf-rest' as the prefix (if
not the list name).  Of course, I still prefer the name
"RESTafarians." :-)