[uf-discuss] Profile aliasing

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Oct 25 16:00:26 PDT 2005

Ryan King wrote:

>> On Oct 25, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Danny Ayers wrote:
>>
>> Is this less work than them changing to:

>>    <!-- entry stuff -->
>
> Now, I don't mean to pick on you Danny, but this is part of the
> reason I wrote http://www.microformats.org/blog/2005/10/19/more-
> than-styling/ - people forget that classes are multi-valued (and
> not just for styling, so please don't call them "CSS classes" :D ).

Changing an existing class schema to a microformat schema would
involve about a dozen class additions obscured by the use of <!--
entry stuff -->, which makes this change appear simpler than it is.
That said, I'm not sure about the value of such a translation
document, as I suspect those who already use suitably specific class
names generally would be willing and able to add microformat names,
and those who don't wouldn't be helped by this anyway unless it has
some means (e.g. XPath) of mapping class-less tags to microformat
equivalents.  For example, I expect the most common case would be to
handle something more like:

     <!-- entry stuff -->

or even

<!-- entry stuff -->

The problem is that the content most in need of additional semantics
doesn't generally have enough semantics to identify where the
additions should be placed.

Peace,
Scott