[uf-discuss] Profile aliasing

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:09:48 PDT 2005

On 10/25/05, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Your example:
>
> <dl class="rel">
>  <dt id='self'><a href="http://www.gmpg.org/xfn/11#me"
> rev="extends">self</a></dt>
>   <dd>This is a pointer to me, it extends the ME property of XFN</dd>
> </dl>
>
> - so the term is a reference to another resource, there's a local
> literal which describes the term.
>
> Gosh. I'm going to have to duck out here, I don't know how to continue
> without the RDF t-shirt. ...

I don't claim that it is pretty, or complete. I added it to the
brainstorming, so anyone can chew on it there and see what gets spit
back.

One of the things that i try to do on my own site, is use a different
class value to differentiate external link from internal ones. So i
use class='ex-ref', it was mentioned somewhere in connection with
DocBooks. Now if i use this over my entire site, and if in a few years
someone standardizes a way to mention external links i would want to
merge my efforts and theirs. The easiest way i see, would be for me to
make my value 'ex-ref' semantically equivalent to their new value
'foo-bar'. Which i think is what the idea behind the original post was
- an alias.

(Or if a service used a microformat for rel="keyword" they could map
that to rel="tag" in XMDP and then one service that only honored
rel="tag" could find that rel="keyword" is the same... hopefully, they
are not doing this real-time, but have previously made this assertion
and honor multiple profiles as equivalent.)

I'm not sure my example is the best way to demonstrate an ontology,
some sort of micro-owl (microwl). But as with everything, i'll put it
out there, if the community feel this is important or interesting we
can move forward, otherwise i will focus my efforts elsewhere in
microformats.

-brian

--
brian suda