[uf-discuss] hAtom

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Tue Oct 25 17:11:47 PDT 2005

Hi David,

On Oct 25, 2005, at 3:22 PM, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:

> META POINT: please add your questions to the Wiki [1] so *I don't
> have to*. This is taking me tens of hours to do and every timesaver
> helps!

My apologies -- I wasn't sure if this was 'on point' enough to
comment.  I've added it (and done a little cleanup as well).

> As a set of goals for hAtom, off the top of my head
>
> (1) to provide a blog-post microformat, based on how people
> actually produce weblogs
> (2) based on (1), use Atom as it provides the most suitable data
> model for doing so
> (3) based on (2), to make the format useful anywhere Atom might be
> used in context to create a syndication feed

That's useful data; I've added it to the wiki page.
http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom-issues#Goals_for_hAtom

However, I've added one more:

Provide a baseline envelope format for similar {title|link|content|
summary} web pages

To your point:

> Everything that has
>
> (a) a title
> (b) a link
> (c) content
and (d) summary

> is going to look similar ... sometimes eerily so! This does not
> mean they're really related.

Why not? If they in fact all have the same things, why aren't they
instances of the same general class?

> I have mentioned this several times over the last several weeks,
> but read [2] _carefully_ to understand why a generic concept of
> "content" will _not_ work for marking up blog content

I'm sorry, I've tried reading that, but I'm still thoroughly
confused.   I understand why you have separate 'content' and
'summary' items. I understand why each entry can have zero or more of
each of them.

So, that implies to me that hAtom is in fact the *general* case of a
list of items.  Other micforomats -- S5, classifieds, etc. -- should
just reuse hAtom (or hAtom + XOXO) as the base format, for greater
consistence and interoperability.

If not, why not?

-- Ernie P.