[uf-discuss] class names and uniqueness - hAtom

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Tue Oct 25 21:24:07 PDT 2005

Hi Tantek,

On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:54 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
> And as for making things more generic, I'd say, at first, don't.

I can accept that as a good starting point.  But, that raises the
question: what comes after "at first?"

For example, I think Danny's done a great job of solving the specific
problem in question.  But now that he's done it, that same pattern:
* title(s)
* author
* content
* summary/description
* link(s)

  appears to recur in:

* S5 slides
* Classified ads
* Card catalogs
* Abstracts

It sure seems like there's something ur-pattern behind all these
things which is being articulated in slightly different ways.   Does
it really make sense to create five different microformats?

I realize there's a danger here of forcing dissimilar objects into
the same mold, and maybe this discussion is premature without more in-
depth research. But, given at least the possibility of an ur-pattern,
what is the optimal process for discovering it?

-- Ernie P.