[uf-discuss] rel-xxx proposal

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Oct 26 15:11:05 PDT 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 10/26/05, Edward O'Connor <hober0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> This proposed Microformat is a way for page to "mark" what's at the
>>> end of the href -- in this case http://xxx-site.example.com/ --
>>> is an
>>> XXX site.
>>
>> OK.
>>
>>> <a rel="xxx" href="http://xxx-site.example.com/">XXX Site</a>
>>
>> Using the rel attribute for this strikes me as wrong.
>>
>> Quoting <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-
>> rel>:
>>
>>         This attribute describes the relationship *from the
>>         current document* to the anchor specified by the href
>>         attribute. [Emphasis mine.]
>>
>> Surely, whether or not the site you're linking to is XXX/NSFW/
>> whatever
>> is quite independent of its relationship to *your* site.
>>
>> Perhaps class="xxx" would be better in this case.
>
> It has become common practice to use URL's and webpages to represent
> "people", to represent "groups", and to represent "ideas".
>
> If that is the case then, for example, if a webpage had rel-xxx on it
> and that webpage represented a person -- let's say Joe Blow -- then it
> would be saying:
>
>     Joe Blow considers what's at the end of that URL to be XXX
> (pornographic) material.

Actually, no. The rel attribute declares the relation between Jow
Blow and "that URL," not "that URL"

So, in essence, rel="xxx" means "the relationship between this and
that is xxx". Not what you're going for.

Likewise <a href=".." class="xxx"> is also semantic abuse- it says:

"this is an anchor/link of class xxx"

Still not what you're going for.

I reccomend http://microformats.org/wiki/xfolk. Its currently the
only way we have for doing assertions on 3rd party resources.

-ryan
--
Ryan King
ryan at technorati.com