[uf-discuss] Need a figure markup

Greg Elin greg at fotonotes.net
Sun Oct 30 05:58:51 PST 2005

Scott,

Thanks for the link. Many aspects of image metadata are well included
in EXIF standard. My point was that sadly HTML gives us only ONE tag
for including images. We have no HTML tags for rendering EXIF
metadata and as a result presenting or creating behaviors around EXIF
data.

As I have discussed in other situations (and a large motivation
behind my work with FotoNotes) is that EXIF metadata tends to focus
on the visual artifact that is a photograph (the pixel space), with a
dirth of parameters to describe the stories embedded in a photo (the
information space).

It is a great loss that browsers have the power to crack open the
JPEG file and uncompress binary data to display data but entirely
ignores embedded metadata text like EXIF.

Greg Elin