[microformats-discuss] Take 2 Re: Definition of "microformat" ?

DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) bob.ducharme at lexisnexis.com
Fri Sep 16 13:29:51 PDT 2005

Jake Ham wrote:

> I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like the "ecosystem" part of
it.  To me, microformats don't
>create any kind of "ecosystem".  They are "simple conventsion embeeded in
HTML that" provide solutions
> to common problems.

 > I still feel that there is a better way to describe them than an
"ecosystem".

I strongly agree, and since the message that I sent earlier this afternoon
didn't show up, I'll paste it here:

Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
>After reading Tantek's dissection of RSS (doh! should've done that

>sooner), let me amend my definition (Take 2)

>Microformats are simple conventions that normalize existing tag usage
>patterns using brief, descriptive class names embedded in
>human-readable (X)HTML document that provide precise semantics for a
>specific problem domain which enable a decentralized ecosystem of
>resources, tools, and services.

The long one looks good to me. I'd just change "a decentralized ecosystem"
to "decentralized development." It's more prosaic, and that's a good
thing--it's better to describe what we're doing directly than to take a
metaphor from biology just  because it sounds a little grander.

Bob