[microformats-discuss] Take 3 Re: Definition of "microformat" ?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Sat Sep 17 09:37:38 PDT 2005

Hi Ryan,

On Sep 17, 2005, at 2:53 AM, Ryan King wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2005, at 8:01 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
>> Okay, but -- since you brought it up -- let me ask you _your_
>> favorite question,:  Is anyone actually *doing* that -- putting
>> microformats into XML?  Or you just solving a theoretical
>> problem? ;-)
>
> Everyone who puts rel-tag in a blog post, for example.

Touche!  But, let me push a little deeper.  Isn't that usually done
by embedding the tag in the HTML description?  So, is it really just
a microformat embedded in HTML, where the HTML happens to also be
embedded in XML?

I'm not trying to be annoying (though that's a welcome side-effect :-
P); I actually am unclear whether microformats -- at least as
implemented so far -- are of genuine (direct) use to people who write
'straight' XML, or only those who care about human-readable HTML.

I do believe microformats *are* incredibly useful -- I'm just (still)
trying to get my head around -which- problems it is truly useful for,
so I neither sell them short nor over-hype them.

-- Ernie P.