[microformats-discuss] Take 3 Re: Definition of "microformat" ?

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 15:09:47 PDT 2005

On 9/17/05, Luke Arno <luke.arno at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe one could do this:
>  <atom:link
>          atom:rel="contact"
>          atom:href="http://examle.org/hCard.html"
>          atom:type="text/xhtml"/>

The microformats wiki has the beginings of a discussion on how to use
REL attribute in conjunction with hCards and hCalendars.
rel="alternative" is an option when you are passing the page to a
webservice that extracts the vCard/iCal, techincally the HTML is an
alternative representation of those formats.

But when you want to link to your hCard/hCalendar there is no rel=""
that has been agreed apon, for various reasons.

This is the start of that discussion, please feel free to add more...
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-brainstorming#Auto-Discovery

-brian

> On 9/17/05, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at opendarwin.org> wrote:
> > Hi Ryan,

> > > Everyone who puts rel-tag in a blog post, for example.
> >
> > Touche!  But, let me push a little deeper.  Isn't that usually done
> > by embedding the tag in the HTML description?  So, is it really just
> > a microformat embedded in HTML, where the HTML happens to also be
> > embedded in XML?
> >
> > I'm not trying to be annoying (though that's a welcome side-effect :-
> > P); I actually am unclear whether microformats -- at least as
> > implemented so far -- are of genuine (direct) use to people who write
> > 'straight' XML, or only those who care about human-readable HTML.
> >
> > I do believe microformats *are* incredibly useful -- I'm just (still)
> > trying to get my head around -which- problems it is truly useful for,
> > so I neither sell them short nor over-hype them.
> >
> > -- Ernie P.

brian suda
http://suda.co.uk