[microformats-discuss] hWidget

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Thu Sep 22 22:46:19 PDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 5:13 PM, Mark Rickerby wrote:

>> I get confused trying
>> to grasp why people think that reinventing XHTML tags and attributes
>> (such as <link binding:type="css"> instead of <link rel="stylesheet"
>> .. > ) in XML is better than just using XHTML.
>
> The allure of coding XML to one's personal aesthetic preferences is
> not to be underestimated ;)

I suppose some people get off on that sort of thing.

> The proliferation of template engines in PHP would be a similar
> example...

I don't think this is the same. I think this is because people are
terribly shortsighted and don't want to invest a bit of time up front
to grok someone else's code. And that's probably because they don't
know how to read others' code (yeah- people who  can write software
can't always read someone else's code, even when its written well.).

People rewrite templating in PHP because they're shortsighted and not
humble enough to submit themselves to someone else's paradigm.

</rant>

-ryan
--
Ryan King