[microformats-discuss] adr and geo microformats finally written up

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Sep 23 10:00:17 PDT 2005

On 9/23/05 2:01 AM, "Kevin Marks" <kmarks at technorati.com> wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2005, at 6:56 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
>> In the "I should have written this up a couple of months ago"
>> department, I
>> give you the ridiculously simple, and 100% reused from previous work,
>> adr
>> and geo microformats, to specifically provide a simple solution to the
>> problems raised and discussed in location-formats.
>>
>>  http://microformats.org/wiki/geo
>
> I think that fails the humans-first, machines second test very
> significantly,

While I agree that describing an address or naming a location is far more
human-friendly (and actually published today), we agreed that some folks do
like to publish lat long (e.g. use of GeoURL), and publishing it visibly
rather than invisibly is an improvement.

However, even visible lat long numbers are less "verifiable" by humans than
even ISO8601 dates, so certainly we can come up with an alternate
representation, like perhaps an <object> that shows that point on a map,
with the marked up coordinates inside as fallbacks.

> which is something we did discuss at length at the BOF.

Could you point to / quote from the notes/IRC-log what you are referring to?

Thanks,

Tantek