[uf-discuss] very simple microformat for URIs

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Wed Apr 5 14:31:21 PDT 2006

On 05 Apr 2006, at 17:24, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> On 4/5/06 2:19 PM, "Alf Eaton" <lists at hubmed.org> wrote:

>>> Ummm ... this is because one is identifying _this particular link_
>>> as having a well defined meaning. I.e. this is the hcard's URL, as
>>> defined by vCard. It's not saying that "this is a URL" or "this is
>>> a e-mail address", except within that narrow definition.
>>
>> Exactly - you're saying "this item's URL is http://www.example.com".
>> What we need to be able to say is "this item's URI is urn:isbn:
>> 1592530079".
>
> Alf,
>
> How do people currently publish such URIs as "urn:isbn:" on the Web?
>
> By researching and documenting some real world examples, we'll have
> a better
> foundation from which to reason and make suggestions.

Generally it'll be just "ISBN: 1592530079" in plain text, or an http:
link to a site that resolves ISBNs such as Amazon (the latter being
what we're trying to avoid by using ISBNs in the first place).

Similarly for PubMed identifiers (PMIDs, the URI for which is in the
form info:pmid/12345678), people will link to PubMed or an OpenURL
resolver that can handle the URI.

I'm thinking at the moment that the best way to do this could be
using an <a> tag with display:none, so that people can't accidentally
click on the link.

alf.