[uf-discuss] Live Clipboard and uF escaping (was Fwd: 0.91 Spec comment: escaped markup is harmful)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Apr 6 06:47:50 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Danny Ayers wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand why Matt suggests XML data might have to be
> delivered as both XML and escaped as well, but he gets into
> browser/DOM territory, a place presumably well-known around this list
> - thoughts appreciated.

I don't understand everything Matt says, but what I do know might
help: browsers use different DOMs, with different functionality, for
XML or HTML.  The HTML DOM is generally easier to use, sometimes even
for XML data.  For example, if you treat XHTML as XML, you can't use
most getElementsByClassName() functions on it, which makes parsing
microformats much more difficult.  But if you just dump the raw text
of the same XML in the .innerHTML of some HTML node (even one that
isn't in the document tree), you can use the full range of HTML DOM
functions on it.

Peace,
Scott