[uf-discuss] multiple tel and adr types

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 7 19:24:24 PDT 2006

On 4/7/06 3:11 PM, "Ryan King" <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> While writing test cases for the TEL property of hCard, I realized
> that we could have two different constructions of the type sub-
> property. Examples:

>  <ul>
>    <li class="type">home</li>
>    <li class="type">msg</li>
>  </ul>

>  <ul class="type">
>    <li>home</li>
>    <li>msg</li>
>  </ul>
>
> I think both of these should be allowed (and not just on <ul>'s).

Why?

> Brian seems to think it would be plausible to implement in X2V. Any
> objections?

Though it is implementable, it appears to introduce an unnecessary
additional chunk of code in all implementations, and thus IMHO is
objectionable.

Let's keep it as simple as possible.

I am opposed to adding more flexibility without authoring benefit.

As far as I know, there is no authoring benefit to doing the second over the
first.

If someone has found (or authored) an actual real world example in the wild
that demonstrates as such, let's start with that.

We need to be very diligent about adding flexibility to the format *only*
when it provides a concrete benefit to the author, driven by actual use
cases.

Thanks,

Tantek