[uf-discuss] Citation microformat

John Vilburn john at ohanasoftware.com
Fri Apr 7 20:58:48 PDT 2006

I can't attend the meet-up on sunday, so I will just wait to hear the
results. How will they be shared?

As some additional input to consider, here is some data from the straw
format for genealogical citations that was proposed on
eatslikeahuman.blogspot.com:

Nested list of genealogical embedded citation elements

citation
     url
     film-number
     sheet-number
     page-number
     frame-number
     call-number
     book-number
     image-number
     record-number
     batch-number
     serial-number
     date-recorded
     certainty
     comment
     source
         url
         title
         author
         abbreviation
         publication-info
         description
         time-period
         locality
         language
         film-number
         call-number
         batch-number
         comment
         repository
             name
             address
             phone
             email
             url
             comment

This proposal is geared explicitly towards genealogical citations. It
probably has some deficiencies and may have some unnecessary elements. But
in general the elements listed here are useful for genealogical citations.
So it would be good if the elements in this list could be represented in
some way in the citation microformat.

For those of you unfamiliar with the genealogical world, let me add a few
definitions for some of the terms used above. I am not proposing that
citation microformats adopt any of these terms. I believe that the citation
microformat proposal already has corresponding elements. I provide these
definitions to avoid confusion about the meaning of the data listed above.

Repository - The location where this record can be found. Could be a libray,
a government agency, a web site, an individual's address, or any other place
that a record can be kept.
Source - The microfilm, book, website, or other collection containing the
information cited.
Citation - The microfilm frame, book page and line number, or other data
required to locate the specific information within the "Source".

Aloha,
John