[uf-discuss] Re: work of art microformat

Greg Elin wiredbike at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 05:36:35 PDT 2006

Tim,

Have you considered adding a parameter or two indicating who created the
citation. Citations in the paper world (e.g., footnotes, endnotes) are
locked into the document they exit. Citations in the digital world can float
freely -- that's the point of microformats. Hence, it makes sense to track
the pedigree of the citation as well as the art itself.

just a thought.

Greg Elin

On 4/14/06, Timothy Gambell <timothy.gambell at aya.yale.edu> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, input, and contributions to
> the http://microformats.org/wiki/work-of-art project.
>
> Given the recommendations on the wiki and this list, it seems to me
> that it would be best to design work of art as a distinct group of
> optional additions to use with the citation microformat. Does this
> seem like a good idea?
>
> To address a few of the questions that have come up on the list:
>
> Why not just add to or merge with citation? Though -- as Ryan Cannon
> and Bruce D'Arcus point out -- works of art on websites are
> conceptually similar to book citations on websites, the museum
> community and the library community have developed different
> conventions for presenting information about their holdings. Since
> there isn't a 1:1 mapping between these conventions, combining
> citation and work of art would probably result in more complexity
> (for citation) and less descriptive utility (for work of art).
> However, I'd be interested to hear if the folks involved with
> citation think it would be an acceptable trade-off.
>
> Why not make work of art into a subsection of citation, as adr is to
> hCard? This might be a good idea, and it's one I'm open to, but it
> should be noted that while adr can express meaningful information on
> its own (that is, without the help of hCard), the proposed work of
> art extensions would rely on citation for core terms, and would not
> be able to express meaningful information without citation's help.
> Does that matter?
>
> For the sake of discussion, I've compiled a comparison between the
> terms in the citation strawman on the wiki and some of the terms that
> have been proposed for work of art.
>
> === Rough list new of terms we'd propose for work of art (contributed
> by Samantha Orme, tweaked by Tim) ===
>
> * creator (hCard)
> * creator-dates
> * creator-nationality
> * creator-role
> * creation-date (hCalendar)
>         * earliest-date
>         * latest-date
> * type (the style/period/genre of the work -- merged with "subject"
> into citation's "keywords" field?)
> * subject (the subject matter of the work -- merged with "type" into
> citation's "keywords" field?)
> * measurements ("format"? "dimensions"?)
>         * width
>         * height
>         * depth
>         * duration
> * medium
> * source ("Current Location"? "Repository"? "Owner"? "Collection"? --
> combined with location using hCard)
> * source-location (hCard or geo or adr)
> * provenance (perhaps a list of hCalendar events, could allow for
> "Gift Of" if that information isn't included in copyright or notes)
>
> === Rough list of terms we'd use from citation (compiled from the
> Mike Strawman) ===
>
> * title
> * subtitle
> [...]

Greg Elin