[uf-discuss] Google hCalendar Greasemonkey script

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Apr 14 07:55:21 PDT 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Mark Pilgrim wrote:

> I will donate a free copy of "Greasemonkey Hacks" to the first person
> to write a Greasemonkey script that
>
> * adds a "remind me with Google Calendar" button (
> http://www.google.com/googlecalendar/event_publisher_guide.html ) next
> to any event described in hCal, mapping the appropriate VEVENT
> parameters to GCal parameters;
> * works entirely on the client (i.e. doesn't require a call to a
> hosted X2V service);
> * is released under the GNU GPL or a GPL-compatible open source
> license.

http://randomchaos.com/software/firefox/greasemonkey/googlehcalendar/
googlehcalendar.user.js

It looks to me like almost everyone is doing timezones wrong, but I
suspect it's actually just me.  I'm hoping someone with more
experience with timezones can explain where I'm going wrong here.  I
live in CST, which is UTC-6.  When I look at this page for an event
in my timezone:

http://upcoming.org/event/69170/

Upcoming says the timezone is -07:00, which I believe is wrong.  Then
I have my Google calendar set to CST timezone, which again is UTC-6.
When I send a time like "20060425T010000Z" I would think Google
should adjust that 6 hours to 2006-04-24 7pm.  But it only seems to
adjust it 5 hours to 8pm.

So between jumping ahead 7 hours on my parsing and then jumping back
only 5 hours on Google's parsing, I end up 2 hours in the future.  So
am I wrong and/or are Google and Upcoming both wrong?

And then some sites don't supply timezones at al, e.g.l:

http://eventful.com/events/E0-001-000874028-2
http://suw.org.uk/archives/category/events/

I'm not clear on what to do with those.  Aren't timezones required in
ISO8601?  I'm just treating them as if they end in "Z" right now, but
that's clearly not the right time.

Other than these time zone issues, it seems to be working fine in my
Firefox 1.5.0.2 and Greasemonkey 0.6.4, though I'm sure there are a
few dozen edge cases I haven't considered.

Peace,
Scott