[uf-discuss] Microformat auto-discovery WAS: Plazes & Microformats

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 07:25:38 PDT 2006

We have talked before about auto-discovery of microformatted data[1],
and about describing vcards at the other end of a link. Here is the
notes so far, it hasn't been talked about in awhile, so feel free to
read-up and add your notes.

There is also an article about "Authoritative Metadata"[2] which details
the fallbacks of where the browser/server is first suppose to gather
data about the resources, then where too look next if it fails. This is
important because we can start sticking things in rel="vcard" or
possibly use the 'a' element TYPE attribute[3]. So you could have:

class="something here maybe" type="text/x-vcard">my vcard</a>

This doesn't always work because the TYPE attribute has to describe the
resource, but hCards are embedded in HTML, so you couldn't cite them
directly unless your link was to a web service that transformed the HTML
to a vCard.

I hope this helps the discussion about auto-discovery, because this
could be used across all microformats, hAtom, hReview, hCalendar, etc.

Thanks,
-brian

[1] - http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-brainstorming#Auto-Discovery
[2] - http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect.html