life, death and address books (was Re: [uf-discuss] hCard and Life Dates?)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Apr 19 09:34:28 PDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> Rather than attempting to shoehorn this into hCard, perhaps
> citations are
> the right place to think about this?

I think there is a large difference between what to do with contact
data for an acquaintance who has recently passed away and how to mark
up historical information on a stranger, and my first thought was
that the two are probably distinct enough to belong in two separate
formats.  But my second thought was that this is all similar to
genealogical data, and perhaps both the personal and the impersonal
purposes could be served with such a format, as some people do
genealogy for personal reasons, and others do it for historical
reasons.  I see the start of such a format here:

http://microformats.org/wiki/genealogy-formats

Peace,
Scott